Market Manager Application 2016
Invitation to Apply:
West Virginia Farmers Market Manager Training Program
Application Deadline: March 7, 2016
The West Virginia Farmers Market Association is pleased to announce the launch of an exciting new program to provide technical assistance, leadership training and networking opportunities for farmers market managers across the state. WVFMA proposes to enhance the sustainability and productivity of WV farmers markets by implementing a Farmers Market Manager Program that focuses on developing guidelines for employing, enhancing leadership and management skills, evaluating and retention of market managers, as well as developing ways to obtain funding to sustain the position. Funding for this program is provided through a grant from the Claude Worthington Benedum Foundation.
Through a competitive process, 10 West Virginia farmers markets will be selected to participate in the Farmers Market Training Manager Training Program during the 2016 and 2017 market seasons. Participating market leaders and managers will attend training and networking events with other market representatives and managers over the two years and will receive assistance from qualified consultants to meet their needs. Participating markets will also receive mini-grants in the amount of $5,000 ($3,000 in 2016 and $2,000 in 2017) to provide a salary for their market manager.
Farmers markets selected for the Farmers Market Manager Training Program must commit to:
- Participate in the Farmers Market Manager Training program from the time of selection through December 2017, or for two full market seasons.
- Send their market manager to the initial “Market Manager Boot-Camp.” This two day event will launch the program and provide valuable training tools.
- Identify and apply for a minimum of two funding opportunities (besides the money provided by the Farmers Market Manager Training Program) per year in order to assist in sustaining their market manager position, with the assistance of the WVFMA.
- Create a “Plan of Sustainability” for maintaining the market manager position past the time of this project.
- Collect and provide sales data during both seasons using a simple sales tracking toolkit provided by the West Virginia Farmers Market Association.
Markets will be selected according to capacity, clarity of need, ability to commit to the program, and geographic spread. Because this program is a pilot, we are limited to including 10 markets in the program. However, we will continue to communicate with all applicants about future opportunities.
If your market would like to participate in the program, please complete the short application form in Microsoft Word and email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 7, 2016. If you have any questions or if computer or internet access is an issue, contact Jeremy Grant, West Virginia Farmers Market Association Executive Director, at (304) 939-3901 to discuss alternative ways of submitting the application.