Application open: November 30, 2017- January 15, 2018
The West Virginia Farmers Market Association (WVFMA) and the West Virginia Food and Farm Coalition are seeking qualified farmers markets to be a part of the West Virginia Mini Market Hub Project. (MMHP) The purpose of this application is to identify markets that would be a proper candidate for this project. This program will begin in the 2018 market season and continue through 2020.
More about the WV MMHP:
The goal of this project is to increase domestic consumption and access to locally and regionally produced agricultural products. The WVFMA will provide training, technical assistance, and peer support to help farmers markets and their vendors aggregate and distribute their products to commercial and/or institutional customers. (universities, hospitals, senior living facilities, etc.) The project funding will also pay for up to 15 hours of a market manager’s salary.
The MMHP will take a portion of the financial burden off of farmers and farmers markets. These entities will have the guidance of the WVFMA with a detailed and thoughtful plan. Farmers will be able to aggregate more product and the farmers markets will have access to more locally produced product and vendors.
Qualified Market Requirements:
- Member of the West Virginia Farmers Market Association- Join here
- Market must have at least 12 vendors
- Must be open at least once a week during market season
- Market must have a market manager ( Responsible individual for managing the program)
- Access to larger commercial or institutional customers/markets in the area
- Availability to some indoor space- electric/water for storage
- Existence of aggregator/ distributor in the area willing to partner to pick up from market and distribute to customers
- Must meet the definition of a traditional farmers market, consignment market, or online farmers market as defined by WV State Code:
- “A traditional farmers market in which two or more vendors gather to sell farm and food products directly to consumers at a fixed location.”
- “Consignment farmers market means a farmers market in which two or more vendors deliver their own farm and food products to a common location maintained by a third party that markets the vendors’ products and receives a percentage share of the profits from sales, with the individual vendor retaining ownership of the farm and food product until it is sold.”
- “An online farmers market in which two or more vendors collectively market farm and food products and retain ownership of those productions until sold.”
Link to apply:
Please contact Carly Stover with any questions regarding your application email@example.com or 304-377-7789.